The Consumers’ Gas Building, as it can be seen today, is in fact not one but a pair of buildings at 17 and 19 Toronto Street. 17 Toronto Street was the original site of the Consumers’ Gas Company’s (present-day Enbridge) head office and first opened in 1852. The company quickly ran out of space and bought the property next door at 19 Toronto Street (then the York County Registry Office). The building which stood at the site was razed and replaced with a Renaissance-style edifice, the new host of the company’s board room and various offices. In 1899, 17 Toronto Street was in turn demolished and a new structure was erected in a style matching that of 19 Toronto unifying the complex. The Consumers’ Gas Company moved out of the building in 1979; the building now houses a restaurant.
Don't want to miss our next content update? Join fellow Toronto readers and follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram or Twitter). Meanwhile, have fun wandering the city or as we like to say: be a tourist at home!